Author Topic: Rally Mode  (Read 8861 times)

Muerte

• Been Here a Little Bit
    • View Profile
Rally Mode
« on: December 02, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »
Mmmm future development.... As we say in Dutch 'kicking down an open door" : RALLY MODE!

It would add an extra dimension to add rally races.
With no lane switches you could have 4 races on a normal track: 1lap, inside and outside lane, in 2 directions.
Winner is the best total time of those 4 races.

lipcheng

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
Re: Rally Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 10:24:13 PM »
That sounds great!  Marcel mentioned in a post in April about future updates including Rally mode.   I would like to see that for sure.

Minardi

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:50:46 AM »
I just discussed this with Martin and Andy to be the next new race mode in RCS64. I am digging up the blueprints and will discuss them with the team, and you of course!

Minardi

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:00:34 AM »
Rally

The 'simple solution'

Drivers drive 1 at a time and complete the set amount of laps (sectors)
Countdown for each new driver.
Display total time per driver. Of course in result, but would be better/super/necessary if displayed real time (for example in fastest lap box / driver)
Time starts running when driver passes SF

'more advanced solution'
Staggered starts, meaning not one by one but more cars at the same time on track, let 'loose' after individual countdown of set amount of secs between drivers

'Even more advanced solution'
Timing starts when light is green, not triggered by SF.
You can select any sensor (Pit Pro, SS or SF) as either start or finish sensor

GENERAL;
Every deslot (track call) adds penalty time. So, a rally of 10 laps with 3 track calls, is 45.123 sec time + 3 sec penalty time (to simulate car service/repair)
Optional to sense the call but not cut power.

Rally Cross

Like a normal GP, but with the restriction you HAVE to pass a Smart- or Pit Pro sensor x times per race.
So a 20 lap race,
Sensor pass: 2

Means you have to take a pitlane or dedicated track part with sensor twice in the race.

Thoughts?

Muerte

• Been Here a Little Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 01:08:38 PM »
I Like the idea of Rally Cross!

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
Hi
I like the idea of rally cross. I have mentioned this in a post here:http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78115
With SS it would be very easy to keep track of the joker lap: during the race RCS should provide in the driver console some indication that x joker laps are still pending.

In the RedBull Global Rally Cross, drivers can get penalties that have to serve in the penalty box. For this, another SS would be required. An alternative solution would be the MegaSmartSensors with multiple sensors. Or another yet is to have the driver with the pending penalty drive in the penalty box and then hit the open pit menu combination and serve the penalty (there is no need to have tyres/fuel/repair options). Of course, the drivers could open the pit menu anywhere in the track so every one have to comply with the rule that the penalty can only be served in the penalty box.

stoooo

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »
+1 for a RallyCross mode, as has been mentioned before on SF months ago. 

I don't agree with including the Sin Bin from GRC.  It is one of the sillier aspects of the US version of the sport.  Code it in if you wish, but please have a way for us to switch it off.

In addition to validating the number of jokers taken by monitoring a SmartSensor (I assume not taking enough jokers would incur a time penalty), could it also automatically add penalties if too many jokers are taken?  The joker isn't always longer, and an advantage could be gained by taking extra jokers where it is a shorter section of track.  For example, on my layout, the pit lane would be my joker section, but it is on the inside of a turn, and hence a shorter distance to travel.

DSCF6250 by stoooo, on Flickr

A jump start usually means an extra joker as a penalty.  Could there be a flexible penalty selection for jump starts?  That is to say, if the joker is a shortcut, you don't want to give an advantage to someone as a penalty.  You may instead want to take one joker away, or just add a time penalty.

RallyCross heats are based on fastest times, not finishing positions.  Would the race management portion be able to manage heat times during an event and generate a ladder for finals/semi-finals based on heat times, then switch to finishing positions for the finals/semi-finals?

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 01:16:32 AM »
Well, I think that the penalty can be paid in several ways depending on the actual layout: penalty box is a simple way. But I agree that a way of removing the joker laps (if it gives an advantage) or adding one (if it is a disadvantage) should be programmable for a given event.

stoooo

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »
Lots of RallyCross cars added this Christmas :D

DSCF6278 by stoooo, on Flickr

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 01:17:07 PM »
Nice cars!!!!

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:30:10 PM »
I did some testing to see if at the end of a race, I could see how many times a car has gone through the pitlane with the SmartSensor installed. Basically, although the Smart Sensor senses the car going over it, at the end of the race the stats do not show any pit entry (unless you open the pit menu). However, reading the topic on SF by Marcel on having a kind of RallyCross with the joker lap and the jump I assumed that the RCS is counting the number of times a car goes over the SS. Am I missing something? Or is a feature that we have lost with the new version of RCS?

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 03:58:09 AM »
I am bumping this up....Any updates on the rally cross with the jocker lap? As I have said before this would open up a new racing mode with just the hardware that most of us have already installed (pit sensors).

Minardi

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 12:44:03 PM »
After next release, r(e)ally!