Author Topic: Global Data base for Cars/Event/profile/ETC  (Read 3349 times)

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
Global Data base for Cars/Event/profile/ETC
« on: April 25, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »
Hi RCS64 users

After a successful ICS64 event(Global race). I have made a feature for sharing events cars and so on. I really think its a nice feature for sharing cars, Events, Throttle Profile, Tyre Wear and ETC. I could open this feature already for the next version, but I need some info from the current users.

First I really need to make this simple otherwise it will never be finished:). As it is intended and work right now(I mention car bat its the same for all the other functions). You can export a Car with a timestamp and a user name. Then all users have access to download it. But with more than 400 users we will have too many cars and a lot of faulty created cars. So I need to make some kind off filter. Like max 6 cars pr user or a simple routine that will delete cars older than a month. I simply just need some suggestions for handling this.

I just storing files on a FTP server, so not a real Database.

Martin

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
Re: Global Data base for Cars/Event/profile/ETC
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »
I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to achieve here with the FTP server.

EDIT------------Actually there is an Export/import function in RCS. Why did we use it? ------------------------------------------------------------
I think the best and simplest bet is to enable two functions: 1) export the car settings into a file; 2) import the car setting from a file. Basically, similar to export/import function of the Tyre profile. We can distribute the car setting file off-line via email for instance. No need to have a centralised DB online. This is a nightmare especially with managing name conflicts, overwrites, ect. You do not want go there. K.I.S.S. principle. I would also suggest the same for the event settings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once the two functions are implemented, the you can also add an online option where the file can saved or retrieved from an online shared repository.

Instead, one thing that would be nice to have synchronised through the server would be the weather patterns. This would allow us to make full use of RCS's features even in an online event.  I do not how you have implemented the weather changing pattern in the code but the simplest solution here would be to load the pattern from a file. Again, an export/import pair of functions could do. For instance, Marcel could use his instance to generate and export a weather pattern file for a two hour race (actually could be 3 files for practice, qualify and race. Or one single file for an event consisting of practice, qualify and race). Then he would send the file to us via email and we would load the pattern on our RCS instances before the event. Alternatively, Marcel could load the file on the server and then the other instances could use it for generate the local weather patterns. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:56:39 AM by GRUNZ »