Author Topic: Smart Sensor Installation  (Read 17325 times)

Utvol5

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
Smart Sensor Installation
« on: December 20, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »
Having trouble installing and testing my smart sensor for my pit portion of the track.
Sensors are placed appropriately at the entrance and exit points of the pit stop.

Rcs64 program v4 has been downloaded and uses com port 15 on my PC

The Adrino driver was downloaded per the rcs64 main page but when I attempted to update an error screen appears. I have noted that my rcs program is using com port 15 and for some reason the adrino driver is also attempting to use the same com port 15? When I back out of the RCS program and go into my system settings for drivers it indicates that the adrino is actually using com port 16

Not sure if this is the problem or not. Anyway I attached a pic of the error screen.

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Sensor Installation
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »
You might want to try changing the com ports to numbers less than 10, so 9 or lower. To do this, you need to enter into the windows hardware profile manager and change them manually. I believe there is a video describing this process that Vector made for this kind of situation.

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:34:25 PM »
Found it. It's in the Updating APB Firmware video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkZ0T1-w9cE
[youtube]hkZ0T1-w9cE[/youtube]

Utvol5

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 08:04:35 PM »
Awesome, will do thanks!

Utvol5

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 06:24:22 AM »
Well I was able to change the com port for Rcs64 to comport 2, however when I attempt the Arduino update firmware task some how it keeps coming up as the same port that RCS 64 is operating out of and therefore the error code reappears. Shouldn't the Arduino be showing in different port?
Unfortunately with out this update I can't activate the pit sensors.  Not sure what's next?
I watched a u tube video from 2013 on how to setup smart sensors by going to he Arduino site.
Now RCS 64 has the tab right in the home page of the program.
Help appreciated. See pic below.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:26:12 AM by Utvol5 »

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »
It seems the Arduino is not installed corectly, RCS64 cannot find it. is it found in the device manager?

Utvol5

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 02:34:48 AM »
Ok fellas, I have uninstalled Arduino program and associated drivers. Reinstalled and attempted to update Arduino board and it still only recognizes the comport that RCS is connected to which now happens to be comport 3, while the Arduino board is connected to comport 2?
I checked the device manager and it shows both comports being used (one with RCS and the other with the Arduino uno) went into the comport with he Arduino driver and hit properties , Both operating in comports below 10.
Any other suggestions to find success?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:50:10 AM by Utvol5 »

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 05:39:50 AM »
What happens if you manually choose comport2 and Arduino?

Utvol5

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
Inside the RCS program it won't allow me too, once I click Update Arduino board it automatically recognizes comport 3 and announces welcome to RCS 64 b/c it seems to be the only board it is recognizing ? Then if I click the drop down window to look for other comport options and it highlights and checks comport 3 with out any other options to scroll through?
Outside of the program I have manually chosen comport 2 for Arduino b/c when first loaded it automatically chose comport 15?
Not sure where else I can manually choose comport 2 and Arduino together.
Not sure if this answers your question though?
Again thanks for all your help  :D

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
After pressing seach comport in the Arduino update tool, the current comport for the Arduino should appear. BTW In the main page is the pit-pro activated?

Utvol5

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »
Nope did not activate pit pro, since wasn't using it? Should I?
I have tried search comport in the tool before but will try again and let ya know thanks.

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 04:48:31 PM »
Chris99 just discovered something, I wonder if this is the issue?

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=72627&view=findpost&p=884633

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 08:10:04 PM »
You manually by Mouse choose the right comport, then in the right side choose Uno, then press update..

Utvol5

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 08:34:17 PM »
Awesome, guys I will give a try after work this evening. Let ya know how it goes , thanks again.

Utvol5

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 06:46:05 AM »
Well gentlemen it's not looking good :(
I went into the device manager and the actual Arduino program and manually made sure both read  the same comport for Arduino uno. Initially the Arduino comport seemed to follow what ever the serial port for rcs 64 was set on. Now since manually assigning comport 3 to Arduino it only mimics what the device manager has down for the assigned comport.
Problem though seems to still occur within the RCS program where it still only recognizes the the board (nano) and port assoc. with itself(comport 2) when attempting update the Arduino board.
When clicking on the tab to see what comport options there are it only gives option for comport 2 which is associated with RCS ?
Hilarious , that all I want to do is race lol