Author Topic: Track Call Safe Speed option  (Read 3268 times)

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
Track Call Safe Speed option
« on: June 21, 2016, 10:13:45 PM »
In an effort to reduce the total stoppage while racing the we often experience due to crashes and the subsequent track calls, I'd like for RCS64 to have an option whereby an auto track call puts all cars to their programmed safe speed, if not a specific track call or "Virtual Safety Car" (VSC) speed. In this mode, pit activity would be able to continue (and be started, even), and cars will continue to drive at a slower pace until the VSC "returns to the pit lane" after a predictable and audible countdown prior to the restoration of full power. We tried this with SSDC, but the totally random nature of returning to full power only caused MORE crashes. Such a feature could also play into the future addition of a REAL "safety car" feature that sends out an actual car during track calls that other cars may not pass, and full power returns after the actual safety car re-enters the pit lane (or special area). If I were to make a wish list for this, it would be as follows:

1) Auto Track Call (ATC) now has two options. Full Stop, or Virtual Safety Car (VSC)
2) Car and/or driver settings have a new power option for VSC power level. Being able to just hold the trigger and know your car won't come off, while not having pit lane to the same restriction, can't be a bad thing.
3) When ATC is set to VSC, full stop track call can still be initiated by a race marshal/manager at the computer with space bar, or even allow the controller button use to trigger full stop if VSC is not sufficient to manage the incident.
4) VSC activation allows full pit stop functions. It does not stop active functions, and does not prevent new pit menu functions from starting. Effectively, it is still "in race"
5) VSC can be set to manually cancel when the race marshal presses a special key on the computer keyboard, or once all active cars have crossed the S/F line at least once since the VSC was triggered (not including cars in the pit lane or pit menu)
6) When VSC is canceled, there is a predictable and audible countdown prior to restoration of full race power levels as per other restrictions (fuel/tires/weather/etc). There should be no doubt about when to lift the trigger to avoid crashing due to full power gain.
7) triggering the VSC via ATC will still deduct a damage point from the offending car. Damage points should still be able to be changed up or down as needed during the race by a race marshal.

I'd love to see this get some input from others. I'm sure I'm missing something that would enhance the feature, or make it more reliable and easy for racers to use.

Minardi

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
    • View Profile
Re: Track Call Safe Speed option
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 12:43:13 PM »
Hi Greg,

Agreed, VSC is something we have thought about before and I would love to see it too.
I think you nailed it how it should work.
You should not be allowed to overtake, unless a car is in the pit or off track.