Author Topic: Connection issues all over the place  (Read 3838 times)

skipper3203

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
Connection issues all over the place
« on: January 12, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
I am having troubles galore at the moment.   

Santa gave me some smart sensors and I can't get them to work with RCS64

I am using a MS surface pro3 (single usb 3.0 socket) for RCS64
- this has been working with Normal PB usb cable directly plugged in (and still does)

To use smart sensors as well I have been using a 7 port USB 3.0 hub (powered)
This is working with usb pen drives etc

Device manager is saying PB is on COM 3 and smart sensors COM 4 which is fine 9600 baud

I have managed to make it so RCS64 see PB and SS at same time for about 5mins (with normal operation) but rcs lost contact with PB....ever since then I haven't been able to connect to both devices at the same time! (Restarts unplugging all to no avail)

It seems like both devices are arguing over priority through the hub and knocking each other out....now I'm just getting frustrated because usb should have tons of bandwidth for what I'm trying to do...

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:10:30 PM by skipper3203 »

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Connection issues all over the place
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:12:37 AM »
Hmm, I have no clue, maybe you can try change the latency to a higher value, like 10ms

skipper3203

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 11:54:37 AM »
I reset all the drivers and re-installed them

I the run the SS debug program with the smart sensors
It has identified the ardunio board as UNO, then I ran a software update using the ss debug software....

I tried for a while just with that and found that APB and SS com ports get found using RCS64, about 30seconds after the "rcs64" sound fx the APB connection was lost.... But it was connecting...progress

I then ran the software update for ardunio inside rcs64, using the details (found using SS debug software) using UNO board as the option on the Ss com port....software update came up as successful....the rescanned for APB and SS and they connected....better yet they didn't drop out...ran a race and the pit sensors work!

Now I am wondering how to make the car automatically slow safe speed or preferably stop in pit lane (irrespective of throttle position)...
I have the auto brake set to 0.1 seconds (Default) My car currently seems to not even slow down at all and triggers the out sensor and i'm back racing again... My pit lane is about 5 half sections between sensors....I was hoping to get the car to stop dead in the first 2 half sections and open the pit box/menu and start refueling automatically (just to make it easy for absolute novices) am I missing something?

Thanks for the patience, but I have no idea what actually fixed the connection problems (i think it came down to not having correct software patches for the SS sensor box)

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:00:20 PM »
If the sensors see the car then it should turn the car into safe spped(Setup for each car in the setup cars). Only settings should be Pit by SS

skipper3203

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:58 PM »
The test car had initially 15% safe speed, only saw it after I manually braked and was leaving pit, we had to up the car speed to 25% to make crossing the sensor and getting full throttle back a bit easier (after my out sensor I have the pit lane piece and a half section before a hairpin R1) the 15% setting just equalled crashes because you couldn't back off quick enough to make it around the inner lane of the R1 (i know poor track design but I am just testing in a track I had already had down)

I think the auto brake could be getting delayed (maybe due to the USB hub), a delay of a fraction of a second would soon eat up my pit lane length (hence a dangerous speed drive through)

Is the auto brake time a delay or a length of time the brake is being applied?

Still coming to grips with the latest rcs64 update and the smart sensors
Nice job again, the software amendments are great (especially calibration)

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »
Try chance the valle From 0.1 to 0,1

skipper3203

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 11:08:28 AM »
Thanks Martin tried the comma, it wouldn't even type it in the box....it only accepted  a decimal...

New development, gremlins are back, done some further research trial and error etc...have tried to just get the ftdi cable for the Pb to connect on its own through the hub.... Mostly wouldn't connect...When it did it dropped out different things like brake buttons and lane change etc (with one car on track, hate to know what would happen with 6 cars-presume it would get worse)

Now I have just read an information white paper referring to compatibility issues with the ftdi chip and USB 3.0 particularly when used with a hub....they did indicate it should work but they couldn't guarantee it...nor would they rewrite the windows certified drivers... So I think this would be the root cause of my issues, as soon as I remove the hub and plug the ftdi chip USB into my SP3 direct it connects every time without fail...

So users take note the USB cables that we use for the Pb from Ricorocket may have problems with hubs on newer hardware...so no smart sensors for my pit lane until something happens with drivers on the ftdi chip....I guess I should have spent my money on the new gulf Lola Aston Martin from slot.it instead of smart sensors (with my current hardware situation) bugger!