Author Topic: more visual change in fuel level  (Read 4490 times)

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
more visual change in fuel level
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »
We would like more options for quick visual cues for fuel level. It can be hard to read the number in the gauge, and the color doesn't change until it gets pretty low. At the very least, we'd like more color changes during the fuel consumption, if not the ability to choose which colors and when they change.

Ideally, I'd like a gauge of some kind, even just a sectioned bar graph, that indicated fuel level in at least 10 sections, if not 20. This could be done the same way the throttle level is shown, but horizontally, and with either color that changes along the graph, or where the whole graph changes colors as the level changes. It could also be done with images, like some other programs do. Just set it up so that a set of 10 or 20 images are used, and then we can even have user selectable fuel gauge sets in different styles.

Vector

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
  • Team RCS64 Tea Boy
    • View Profile
Re: more visual change in fuel level
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:05:34 PM »
In my opinion -

Gauges although visually pleasing are inaccurate.

The numerical value enables you to accurately assess how much fuel you have left and enables you to calculate how many laps you will be able to do with the remaining fuel load.

Often I will be left with less than 5% of fuel left at the end of a race. With gauges I probably would not risk running out of fuel and would just make a visit to the pits.

So definitely no gauges for me, however an improved system of using colour, such as is used with Tyre wear, would be useful.

Andy P

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:11:24 PM »
I agree that percentages are more accurate, but they're not as easy to check at a glance while racing.

Also, with all the boxes having nothing but numbers, it's very easy to forget which one has which number and what it means.

Over time, we would become accustomed to it, so this would be primarily beneficial for newer users, but making the dashboard more user friendly and intuitive isn't a bad thing. :)

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:09:55 AM »
I have made the same suggestion. If the same approach as for the throttle level is used the we could have both a number and a vertical gauge with 5 blocks (20% for each block). Also as we have discussed, the arrangements of different values are very confusing and seems to be randomly put there: a more rational layout would be nice. 

Another suggestion that I made was on the audio feedback: the program plays an audio message "low on Fuel" when it is at 25%. On the other hand it give more precise feedback for the tyres levels.

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 05:59:14 AM »
We had that before, but 99% off the users preferes Percentage, thats why we usepercentage, so I will hate go back again, then I never will end change it..

Martin

Minardi

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:21:58 AM »
Yes it is true, first we had the fuel bars, but for real strategic drvingyou really need the actual value as big as possible.
Alternatively you can use pit pro to show fuel level, or the new tower from kare possibly.

What we could do, and I think that is what Greg suggests, is let the box change color sooner than at 25%. Maybe add 50% as first color change.

FUEL LEVELS
100-50% green
5-25% yellow
25-5% orange
5-0% red

For tyres maybe use different colors

100-50% gray
5-25% pink
25-5% more pink
5-0% purple

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 07:30:01 AM »
The above proposal would be much better than the current way.
Not sure about the color for tires, but I'm not sure what to suggest for that so that it's not confused with fuel.

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 08:09:54 AM »
The colors would be an easy one to build in....

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »
what I was suggesting was not to get rid of the numerical values but having both a value and a graphical clue. I think the colour patterns would work. If I recall correctly (I am in New Orleans at the moment so I cannot check myself) when in pit mode and refueling, it shows a fuel gauge and value at the same time. You could use this approach while racing. 

It would be nice to have fuel level and tyre status values both close by and more to the left side of the dash board. So that in glance at the screen I can see both. 3/4 of the dashboard contains information about timing (last lap time, fastest lap time, difference in time iwht the leader) that to be honest makes sense in a real case scenario where a driver does not have a visual clue of the leading car, so when he passes near the pit wall his team will provide this info. But in slot car racing, it is really hard to digest all that info in a short glance at the screen. The pace is too fast and I can see where the other cars are by looking at the track: so that I know if I have to press harder or slow down.