Author Topic: Quick controller calibration on Pre-Race screen  (Read 5522 times)

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
Quick controller calibration on Pre-Race screen
« on: December 15, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
I would like to see controller calibration, in general, be streamlined a bit. The current method is a bit tedious, especially if it needs to be done multiple times per event.

What I would especially like is for this streamlined calibration to be available, or automatic, while the Pre-Race window is on screen.

The reasoning behind this is that my club often changes driver positions more than once per event/meeting. We each have our own controller that we have set up to our preferences (TruSpeed with trigger legnth and spring tension adjustment), and so even if we calibrated our controllers before the races begin, we would have to do it again after we rotate or change driver position for whatever reason. We've found over the years that poorly calibrated controllers can be a serious issue for racing. It's the main reason we got TruSpeed controllers in the first place. Still, even TruSpeed controllers can benefit from calibration, but due to the complicated nature of controller calibration in RCS64, and non-existent (at least, not reliable or trustworthy) calibration in SSDC, we never use it, and must simply shrug and move on when a controller calibration issue arises.

I would like controller calibration to work like the C7030 PB-Pro did, or like the C7042 base does when using the tower, or something like those. When I press "calibrate" somewhere, I want all 6 controllers to be able to be calibrated at the same time, simply by pulling the trigger a few times, or holding and releasing it a couple times, or something.

Ideally, and this is why my post is titled "Quick controller calibration on Pre-Race screen", I would like RCS64 to automatically detect trigger motion when waiting in the Pre-Race screen. There should not need to be an additional button, though having this be an option that is enabled/disabled on the main screen might be good if such a feature would be a processor hog. When a controller trigger is pulled, the Car ID number next to that driver should flash red or yellow to indicate that the controller is being calibrated, or that it will be if the user continues pulling and/or holding the trigger. When the calibration is complete, the number should light up green and remain lit. Calibration should not be required, but it should be indicated that it has happened for any driver that did it. The race would still be started by the marshal clicking start, or by all the drivers pressing their Brake button to indicate readiness.

This way, a race event, especially a series with rotation, can be automated, and every driver can ensure proper calibration of their controller prior to a race. I imagine that when a race starts, drivers will pull their trigger a few times, see their number light up green (calibrated), and the press Brake to start the race.

I'm hoping this is possible. If not, then at least we should be able to get back to the throttle tab and re-calibrate our controllers between race heats/rotations during a series event. Also, hopefully the current calibration can be streamlined as above so that we're not so reluctant to do it in the first place.

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
Re: Quick controller calibration on Pre-Race screen
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 08:28:45 PM »
Interesting idea. I do not use the calibration very often but then I do most of the racing by myself. You certainly bring in some interesting feedback from a club racing prospective. Implementing some (or all) of your suggestions would make RCS64 very appealing for digital clubs.   

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »
I could make something in the startmenu, I will figure out later, i like the idea...

Minardi

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »
Me too :)

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 05:40:50 PM »
I also just thought that it would be nice to be able to clear the calibration of a controller individually, such as by clicking the Car ID box. This would allow RCS64 to save controller calibration in the same place it normally does, so that controllers do not NEED to be recalibrated before every race, but a driver can choose to do so prior to the race, either by performing the calibration trigger motions (pull 3 times then hold, maybe?), or by clicking the Car ID box. This way, if people don't rotate or change position, they don't need to calibrate the controller, but if someone changes controllers (this happens more than you might think), or if they do rotate but want a "default" controller response (e.g. no calibration), they can clear what's in there.

To be clear, here is how I imagine it to work.
First race, all drivers wish to calibrate their controllers. The option to do so (on the Main page) has been enabled. All Car ID boxes are yellow (to indicate not calibrated for this race). If the Calibration option on the main screen is NOT enabled, then the Car ID boxes have no special coloring. They each pull and release the trigger 3 times, each time causing the Car ID box to flash red. then pull and hold the trigger (red light) until their Car ID box lights up green (calibration complete). Controllers are calibrated, they can choose their tires and press brake to start the race.

Second race, no rotation, but drivers 2 and 5 change controllers. On Pre-Race screen, drivers 1, 3, 4, and 6 do nothing. All Car ID boxes are green to indicate controller calibration complete, but 2 and 5 want to re-calibrate. They pull their triggers and their Car ID box flashes red each time they do, but return to green (not-recalibrated). This prevents accidental clearing if they didn't mean to do so. If the pull/release three times AND pull/hold once, then the calibration is overwritten by the new data, and the Car ID switches to Green from red when the routine is complete.

Third race, drivers have rotated and everyone is in a new lane/Car ID. On the Pre-Race screen, drivers 1-5 all pull/release three times then pull/hold once until their Car ID box switches from red to green. Driver 6 does not wish to calibrate, but does not want the previous calibration, either. The race marshal can click the Car ID box to clear previous calibration, and go with whatever the default is.

Another idea would be to make it so that pulling the trigger fully three times clears out previous calibration, and the final act of pulling and holding the trigger is what saves the new calibration. That would allow the drivers to easily clear, or clear and recalibrate, without needing marshal intervention. A Green Car ID could switch back to Yellow after the three pull/release cycles to indicate that calibration has been cleared.

Just some interface ideas for when you're ready to work on this. :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:53:53 PM by MrFlippant »

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »
At the moment, RCS64 does not support the idea of first, second, third, and so on race. It can do this only in the series. So what you are suggesting about yellow for the first race, and then green for any successive one might only be implemented in the series. Instead, I like the idea  of "pulling the trigger fully three times clears out previous calibration, and the final act of pulling and holding the trigger is what saves the new calibration." This does not require to keep track of the events/races.

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »
Thanks for that clarification. I did mean for that to be "in a series" of races.
If running single events, I think it can still work the same way, though. A green Car ID means that there is a saved/custom calibration for that controller. Yellow indicates that there is not (so, default/clear calibration). Pull three times to clear it (goes to yellow), then pull and hold to recalibrate (goes green again). Flashing to red during calibration would be nifty, but not required, I don't think. The main reason to have it is so that people who like to flick the controller during pre-race get a visual warning that they're recalibrating their controller if they keep doing that.
In fact, thinking about it, it would work the same way whether in successive individual events, or in a series of heats using the Series screen.

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 04:38:02 AM »
That is my point: no need for the system to keep track of the first of an event. If you need calibration just pull the trigger three times, confirm, and enter the calibration procedure.

The only thing is that I was going to suggest to use the trigger for refuelling the cars in the Pre-Race window. The more I have been using RCS the more I realize how important starting fuel level is in the pit strategy. Especially when you have very even opponents. So basically the idea would be to use the trigger for fuel up your car as you do in the fuel stations for your 1:1 car. But I think that both functions could be supported - holding the trigger starts the fuelling option / pressing three times in row starts the calibration procedure.   

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 06:40:39 AM »
Ah. I see what you mean.
Yes, if that could be made to work, that would be cool.

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 06:41:57 AM »
Maybe another way, rotation with keep controller!!

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 05:29:34 PM »
I'm intriged... If I understand correctly, your proposal is to encourage calibration ahead of the series, and then during the series, the calibration will move with the driver?
That would be cool, but doesn't help in situations where a controller becomes problematic during a race and needs to be cleaned or changed for a new one.

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 05:30:56 PM »
If we could back out of the race without losing it, that would be nice, and especially helpful for situations where a Main Page setting needs to be changed, but it looks like once you're in a race or series... you're pretty well stuck there until you finish or cancel the race or series.