Yes
3 (100%)
No
0 (0%)
Do not care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: December 27, 2014, 08:39:41 PM

Author Topic: Start Fuel Level in the Pre-Race Window  (Read 5012 times)

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
Start Fuel Level in the Pre-Race Window
« on: December 20, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »
For a optimal pit strategy, the fuel level at the start of the race is very important and is strictly related to the weather condition. For instance, if the weather sequence for an event is Sunny->Cloudy->Rainy, then I can start with Hard/Soft tyres and I know that I have to pit early on (roughly in the first 1/3 of the race) to change tyres. In this case, I want to start with 50% of fuel so that I can take advantage of the car going faster with less fuel to gain some extra time on the other cars so that I can try to make up for the time I am going to lose in the pit.

With the current version of RCS64, you can set the fuel level in the Controller tab but you do not have any idea of what the weather is going to be for a giving event. The ideal place to set the fuel level is in the Pre-Race Window where you can decide which tyres to use for the start of the race. As I understood, currently the fuel level is too deep in the code that is not easily accessible through the Pre-Race window and would require a major refactoring of the code. Hence this poll. Is this a feature that you would like to see in a future release of RCS64?

---------How it would work---------- 
A simple solution is just with a text field that would require a keyboard to enter the required level (as it is implemented in the controller tab right now). Basically, each driver can ask the Race Marshal (the person with access to the keyboard) the desired level.
A more interesting solution is to use the trigger to fillup the tank (as you do when you go to the petrol station). As default the level could be 100%. If you press and hold the trigger for one second, it will flash and go to 0%. Depending on how much you press the trigger controls the speed of the fuel being pumped in your tank. If by mistake you put more than what you intended to, release the trigger for one sec, hold the trigger for another sec, the fuel level goes down to 0% and you can start again pumping fuel in your car.

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
Re: Start Fuel Level in the Pre-Race Window
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 01:01:11 AM »
I chose yes, even though my group has not yet gotten into such detailed fuel strategy. I think if there are races out there, 1:1 I mean, that let a team decide how much fuel to start with, so should RCS64. Simple as that.

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 03:12:40 AM »
well, it is not just because it is done in 1:1 (although it should provide a very strong motivation in supporting it) but I think starting fuel level is one of the main factor in deciding the pit strategy especially with the fuel load simulation on. I hope that others will see also the benefit of having this variable under their control. 

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 04:49:20 AM »
I believe pit strategy will be a future addition to the program. Presumably, this means choosing a tank level and other options prior to race start.

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:51:07 PM »
Hi Greg
Pit strategy was already there with the previous version: matching fuel starting level & tyre type to the weather pattern of a race.
With the current version you can only match the tyre type to the weather pattern.

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 08:12:40 PM »
No, I mean, I was under the impression that there was to be a more complex pit strategy system added in the future. Something that would allow a racer to decide not only how much fuel and which tires to start with, but also what to do at each stop, in advance, such as add N liters of fuel, replace tires if worn below XX%, and like such as. Maybe that's still planned, or maybe I misunderstood something that was said a long time ago.

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 08:54:14 PM »
I see what you mean: I have never heard that this type of pre-programmed pit strategy was in the making. But I have not been around too long. However, I would say that this kind of pre-programmed strategy would be too complex to set up for each driver and also would remove some of the "human factor" while pitting. For instance I know that I can refuel and change tyres in under 8 secs. But if under pressure I can commit mistakes and taking longer. That is why I prefer to have the driver  in charge of taking all the decisions under the pressure of the race. It is also more adaptable to the actual race condition.