Author Topic: Change to Series sequence  (Read 5486 times)

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
Change to Series sequence
« on: December 23, 2014, 12:45:41 AM »
I mentioned previously that it seems strange to me for a series to just repeatedly run whatever is in a single race set up. Specifically, if a race has practice time, then qualify, then a race, a series will run Practice, Qualify, Race, Practice, Qualify, Race, and so on. The answer in the past was to run Practice separately. That makes perfect sense... but I was also told to run qualify separately... yet that defeats the purpose of a computer running qualify and then move into a race.

The entire point of qualify is to determine an order for the racers, either on the grid, or when they race. Why can't the computer help with this, rather than make us split up into 6 person chunks FIRST and THEN qualify and race? It seems to me that it would make a lot more sense to have practice time, then qualify ALL your racers, and then run the races based on the qualification.

I realize that I can do this by running things separately, writing things down, and then running the final races... but if I wanted to use paper I'd just be using the tower rather than a computer, am I right? ;-) Ideally, practice time could also be included in this scenario, but I'll leave it out for now, since we can just set a single race with a long-ass practice time and leave it at that.

Here's what I would like:
Set up a Series with Qualify, and then a "No Rotation" race, with 10 people racing (for example).
When the session begins, RCS64 randomly, or by alphabetical order, selects half of the racers (or 6, whichever is less) to run a qualifying race. This race is run according to whatever the single race parameters are for the Qualify session. At the end, RCS64 stores the best times for each of those people.
The next race is ANOTHER qualification session with the rest of the group. It doesn't matter how the group is split, as we're only going for best lap time to qualify everyone.
If I have 60 racers, I expect to run 10 qualifying sessions in a row. Get it? That way, I have the qualification order of all 10 (or 60) people.
When ALL the qualifying is done, RCS64 then divides the group as evenly as possible into multiple races BASED on their qualification order, starting at the bottom. I'd also like the option of a "bump up" for each heat, so the winner gets added to the group in the next race. Using my example of 10 racers, the bottom 5 would race, and then the top 5 plus the winner of the bottom 5 would race next. This gives even the lowest qualifying racer a chance at top podium. We could even provide this option to the top 2 or 3 winners of each race, until there is a final race where only the top qualifiers and the winner(s) of the previous race are racing for the final podium of the night.
At the VERY LEAST, I would like to be able to run qualify for more than 6 people (e.g. two qually races in a row), then have RCS64 split up the group according to qually placing, and run two RACES (GP, endurance) in a row.

We can talk about points and things until we're blue in the face, but the point is that running Practice-Qualify-Race-Practice-Qualify-Race-Practice-Qualify-Race-Practice-Qualify-Race-Practice-Qualify-Race- is just plain silly. It's clear that racing SSD with more than 6 people is pretty uncommon over there. ;-)

Also, qualifying doesn't really go along with rotation racing in the first place, so this doesn't need to apply to the three rotation types. IF it can, that would be good, I just don't see a need, as I don't think anyone running rotation would waste time qualifying.

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
Re: Change to Series sequence
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:12:37 PM »
Bump.

We ran into this issue again yesterday, and expect it to be more prevalent as time goes by. A previous member has returned (having been in another state), and new members have joined over the interim, such that we could regularly see 9+ racers. Simple put, we need RCS64 to have more options for race management so that we're not forced to use pen and paper like the olden days.

I'm glad to see that RCS64 is progressing in development. I'd like to see some time put in to race management options for the release after next.

Minardi

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:11:29 PM »
Just read it on SF Greg,and I agree, we should look into that. The management we have now is good, but basic and time for an update/improvement, after upcoming release. Would love to use your input and experience again.

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:47:08 PM »
Hi Marcel
To be honest, Greg's post at the time he posted it didn't make much sense to me. But after that I have joined an analog group where we have a 4 lane track it makes perfectly sense. We have regularly 10 people racing and what Greg is describing is exactly how we fit 10 racers on a 4 lane track. There is a qualify session and then depending on the number of drivers racing groups are formed so that you get to race against people close to your racing skill.

For me, what I would like is something a bit more basic: running a championship where the program would keep track of the points each driver get per race. However, I do not want to be constrained by the program to put me in Pract-Qualify-Race-Pract-Qualify-Race...I want to say "this race is for this championship" and what I expect is that after the race completes the championship points (that i want to be able to specify for each scoring position) are updated with the standings of that race.

Minardi

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:23:19 AM »
Hi Gio,

What you describe I would say is already possible.
As long as you use the same series name, you can have  a single event each time (day) you wish. That event can exist of just a race. If you make an event with for example a 50 laps GP, with a certain series name, it will add the points of the race result to the already existing series points (with the same name)
Or do I not understand your suggestion?

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 03:54:31 AM »
I have tried some time ago but the strange thing was that it asked for rotation or something. It didn't make sense to me and I gave up.
I might give it another go and I will report back. The fact that there is no written manual does not help either because my laptop where I run RCS is not connected so I cannot watch videos.

g