Author Topic: "stuck in pit lane"  (Read 13251 times)

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
"stuck in pit lane"
« on: December 08, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »
If a car is pushed out of the pit lane, and over the out sensor, RCS should kick them out of the pit lane menu and allow them to continue running around the track. While goofing around yesterday, we had that happen, and the car being pushed couldn't even try to get out of the way until he went through the pit menu exit procedure. For a newbie watching his car being pushed around, this can be harder than you think. I figure if RCS sees the car go over a sensor, and it was already in the pit lane, it should assume that it is exiting the pit lane forcibly, and kick them back into racing mode. Similarly, if the car crosses the S/F line in the same way, the same thing should happen, along with a lap count.

Vector

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
  • Team RCS64 Tea Boy
    • View Profile
Re: "stuck in pit lane"
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »
Interesting and sounds a little comical :'(

I hope the person doing the pushing got a Stop&Go penalty ;D

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:04:31 PM »
We were just goofing around, but yes, I would imagine a penalty would be applied if that happened in a race.

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:02:01 AM »
Then it would be cool to have RCS to check the id of the pushing car and automatically assign the penalty...

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:25:05 AM »
Great idea!

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:05:57 AM »
Tell me how I should find out if you had a two lane pit?

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »
You/RCS64 does not need to know if there is a single or double pit lane. When the car is in pit mode (pit menu open) and the program sees the ID of the car through the SS sensor (the one at the end of the pit lane) then close the pit mode and bring back the car in race mode.

the stuff that I suggested (give the penalty to the following car) is not very important but it could work. For instance, if the program sees the id of a car through the SS sensor at the end of the pit lane could be only for two reasons:
- a person is pushing the car around
- another car is pushing the car around

In the second case, the two cars should go over the pit out sensor in close succession: so when the program sees the id of the first car could start a short count down to look for an other id through the pit out sensor. If this happens assign a stop&go penalty to the second id. 

Anyway, I think that bringing the car in race mode if it goes over the pit out sensor makes a lot of sense to me. The second part (assigning the stop&go) is not important
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:59:13 PM by GRUNZ »

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 06:00:44 PM »
Err... yeah. what does the number of pit lanes have to do with it?

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
What iff the car is in a middle off tyre change, repair or refueling?

I meant how could I detect what car push the other out if you have two lanes?

Martin

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 08:41:34 PM »
If possible, the refueling should be stopped at the point it was last at when crossing the sensor. Tire change and repair would be trickier, but would it be possible to keep the time spent so that the next time the car comes in to take care of those things, the remaining time is all it would take? So, if repair or tire change were set to 10 seconds, and the car was pushed out at 5s to go, when he comes in to repair or change tires, it only takes 5 seconds? I wouldn't want him to get a full repair or tire change by being pushed out, but I also wouldn't want him penalized by having to start from scratch.

As for detecting what car pushed the other out if you have two lanes... can you describe the sensor and track/pit layout that your question is based on? All the pit lanes I race on, whether one lane or two,  have a pit in sensor before the pit lane splits into two lanes, and the pit exit sensor is after the two lanes come down to one... you would know who pushed the car out of the pit by the ID of the car immediately following the one being pushed out. Or, to be more precise, the ID of the ACTIVE car (not in the pit menu) following any and all cars being pushed over the sensor that are still in the pit menu. This would allow for situations where a magnet racer is able to push multiple cars through the pit exit and back onto the track.

I need to know what kind of track and sensor arrangement you are basing your question on, because I still can't figure out why you're asking it.

Vector

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
  • Team RCS64 Tea Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
I believe that 'Raceros Manageicus Systemus Developacas' is on the Endangered Species list :(

Please treat with love and kindness :-*

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
I'm sorry if I caused any frustration or anything. I'm just trying to get onto the same page so that the discussion can progress.
It's clearly an issue of semantics that is causing this confusion, so maybe you can help, Vector. If you can gain an understanding of what Martin means, and convey that to me and Grunz, then I'm sure we can provide the answer he seeks.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:27:25 PM by MrFlippant »

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 06:50:53 AM »
When a car push the other out, youre sugest an auto penalty to the car that push. When you have a double lane pit, and three cars is in pit, what off the two other cars shall have penalty? I know I can see car two is getting out off the pit, but what iff that car stops before the sensor.. A lot off complicated code need to me made, to get this working smooth. I also have to think off the PC performance, Many slotcar users run on a very old second hand XP pc, and they all expect it to run smootly, so putin complex code will for sure be a little too much for those PC's.
I like the Idea about exit pit menu no doubt about that, but I am afraid there are too many relations that will mess up, because off all kind off calculations needed to be reset or paused. So sorry this will be a lower priority..

GRUNZ

• Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 03:49:36 PM »
Just as I said in my previous post, the auto penalty is not that important.
About your comment for a feature that requires complex code that could slow down old PC, I would say that you could add this as an option feature that can be activate only in PC with decent performance (RCS could check the performance of the PC and disable some of the feature or give users feedback such as "RCS thinks that your PC is crap and you should not activate this feature").
I would say that keeping features on hold because of old PCs out there is not fare for the other users with decent machines...

As for the program logic how about this:

If (PitOut sees ID) and (ID.status is in PitMenuOpen) {
  startTimer();
  ID.status set Race;
  If (PitOut sees ID2) and (ID2.status is not in PitMenuOpen) and (Timer is not Up)
     ID2.status set STop&Go;
}

Basically, you will give automatically a penalty to car getting out of the pit only if:
 - the pitout sees an ID that should not be seen because the car is still with the pit menu open
 - if the pitout sees another ID within a short time then give this second car a penalty because chances are this car is pushing a car that was pitting.

Of course, if the second car pushes the first car and waits for timer to be up before passing over the pitout then it will not get the penalty.

Anyway, i do not see why having a second pit lane should cause any troubles. The auto penalty is activated only when the pit out sees a car that is still pitting going out.

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »
Ok I can see the code in my head but I have hundred senarius/relations to handle at the same time so it sound easy but it isent, but I am not seeing what to do with the ongoing features in pit.

Fuel : stop
Tire :  thinks to be desided(Use from stock, what if its raining and your stoped while changing to wet tire.  )
Repair: ?
Stop&go:?

It almost sounds like I wont make it, but I will. I just have to figure out how to do, so you dont report it as a bug later:)
It just sound easy, but its not... a lot off senarios to figure out, so use this a brainstorm..
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:08:04 PM by martin »