Author Topic: Distance calculation?  (Read 4175 times)

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
Distance calculation?
« on: November 29, 2014, 11:51:40 PM »
I was wondering how the distance is calculated. There's the Miles/Kilometers option on the main page, and then there's a track length option in the race settings... does the m/km setting make a difference? What measurement should the track length be in? Is the distance at the end of a race the scale distance or actual distance?

Vector

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
  • Team RCS64 Tea Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Distance calculation?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:47:05 AM »
Nice question Mr Flip.

The Miles/KM option is to choose whether you would like to have the results shown in Metric or Imperial. Whichever you choose for this option, is the unit that you should enter the length of your track in. That bit is simple.

As for the distance at the end, I think that is the actual distance. Therefore the speed is actual speed not scale speed. I can understand the confusion as it does say Scale distance above the KM/Miles selection option.

If I am correct in what I am saying, and I may not be, then perhaps the wording 'Scale Distance' should be changed to something like 'Units of Measure'. Sounds a bit grandiose :-[. Open to suggestions!

Andy P 

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 06:38:42 AM »
So, if I choose miles, I should put in 0.00984848? That's how much of a mile my track is.
I assumed that it was in feet if I chose mile, so we put in 50. At the end of a 50 lap race, it told us we went about 2.5 miles. Well, in real distance, 50 laps on a 50 foot track is not even one half mile. So, I thought it might have been scale... but then it should have said 16 (or so) miles.

This lead me to wonder if the distance is being calculated by meters and then converted to miles, and so RCS64 thinks my track is 50 meters long. But, that doesn't match up. The only thing that matches up is if it's showing me kilometers, based on the track length in meters... ignoring the fact that I chose "miles" on the main page. 50 laps of a 50 meter track is 2500 meters, or 2.5km, which is what the race result screen showed under distance traveled... though without the "km" indicator.

So, I guess maybe it's a bug? RCS64 isn't converting to feet and miles when the Miles option is chosen.

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »
Hi Greg
To be honest I havent dig into this so much in version4, but I can see there is a problem, metters should be feet in chosing miles, So I will put this on my list off findings that need to be fixed, I might contact you later to find a good way..

Martin

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:32:40 PM »
It's not an important bit of info for me, so I'd be just as happy to remove the "miles" option entirely. But, it's nice to see things in a familiar measurement.
I might not check here every day, so email or PM me if you need immediate feedback.

skipper3203

• Been Here a Bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 02:57:40 AM »
Anouther problem I have found with the distance calculation...the track length it's in whole metres (my track is 33.43m avg RCS64 only sees it as "33.", would be nice to have it measured down to cm(i.e two decimal places), especially useful if giving accurate scale speed

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 05:46:00 AM »
Good point should be an easy fix..