Author Topic: Fuel load simulation  (Read 5729 times)

MattiasC

• Been Here More than a Bit
    • View Profile
Fuel load simulation
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »
There is no way to change how the fuel load simulation calculates, right?

Minardi

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel load simulation
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »
How do you mean ?

- You can adjust tank size
- You can adjust burn rate
- It is based on use of throttle, so using a different throttle profile, gives different results

What would you like to change ?

MattiasC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »
I would like to experiment with a larger lap time difference between full tank and almost empty tank.

Wait, could it be I actually can do that by setting a higher tank size and a lower burn rate?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:30:04 PM by MattiasC »

Minardi

• Administrator
  • Here a Lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 05:42:37 PM »
No, use the car set up. There you can adjust the power with a full tank for each car. Default 85%, try 75% and interpolate upwards.

MattiasC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 06:28:13 PM »
No, use the car set up. There you can adjust the power with a full tank for each car.
Oh, of course. Thankyou.

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 06:31:11 PM »
- It is based on use of throttle, so using a different throttle profile, gives different results

Wait... what?
That's how SSDC did it, and has been a source of problems for us.
Why? Because different throttle, especially Scalextric OEM ones, have different throttle levels/curves inherent in their manufacture.
The result is that some controllers, even after calibration, will cause high fuel burn than others, because they produce a different throttle output level.
It also makes it too easy to "game" the system by using a different throttle curve.
If I use the H.Spd curve, I'll burn less fuel than if I use the L.spd curve, because the output speed is higher at lower throttle for H.spd. It might make the car harder to drive, but if I can handle it, I could run an entire race without refueling while the guys with linear or any other curve will burn MORE fuel (to get their car to go the same speed I am) due to their throttle being at a higher level.

This makes me sad, so I'm hoping that I'm misinterpreting your comment. I HOPE the fuel burn calculation is based on the speed level being sent to the car, so that regardless of the curve I like to use, it's the speed the car is being told to go that determines how much fuel is being used.

martin

• Administrator
  • Here a Real Lot!
  • RCS64 Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »
The fuel use is calculated from how much speed the car gets. But Marcel also right, because driving slower means lower fuel use.

MrFlippant

• Here a Real Lot!
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
ok, WHEW!
Yes, driving slower means lower fuel use. I practice this all the time when racing.
I'm glad to know that it's the speed the car is told to go (e.g. POST throttle levels and curves), and not the throttle level (pre/in-curve) that does it.

Thanks! :)